2 tablespoons vegan butter
4 small red onions, diced
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup brandy
4 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup red wine
4-5 sprigs fresh thyme
1 fresh baguette, sliced, to serve
mozzarella vegan cheese, sliced, to serve
1. Place pot on medium heat and add butter. Once melted, add the onions, bay leaf, and salt and pepper.
2. Caramelize the onions for about 1/2 hour, stirring here and there so they do not stick. Add the brandy and allow to deglaze.
3. Add the broth, red wine, and thyme. Cook the soup for another 20-30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
4. While the soup is cooking, top baguette slices with vegan cheese. Bake in oven until the cheese begins to melt.
5. Place soup in bowl and top with the cheeze bread slice. Enjoy!
Source of recipe: I wrote the recipe. For more information, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2011/01/french-onion-soup.html