2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise (I used Vegenaise)
1 tablespoon nondairy milk
1 teaspoon vinegar
1/2 teaspoon molasses (may substitute with maple syrup or brown sugar)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves (optional) Sandwich:
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 ounces tempeh, cut into 4" to 3" squares that are 1/2" thick
1/2 cup sauerkraut, or to taste
4 slices rye bread (I use Trader Joe's Black Sourdough Rye Bread, only 80 calories/slice)
1 large tomato, circular slices
1/4 red onion, cut into thin slices
1. Reuben Sauce: In a bowl, combine all sauce ingredients; whisk until thoroughly combined.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add tempeh squares; cook until golden brown and crispy on the outside, about 5 minutes. Removed temepeh and set aside.
3. Add the sauerkraut to the skillet; heat just until the moisture from the brine is evaporated, about 30 seconds.
4. Slather a quarter of the Rueben sauce on one side of each slice of bread. On two slices, add the cooked tempeh (2 squares per sandwich), heated sauerkraut, tomato, and onion. Top each with the remaining slices, sauce side facing the filling.
5. For a final touch, place the sandwich on the skillet and heat both sides, about 30 seconds each side, so that the bread is nice and toasty.
Source of recipe: www.luxhippie.com