2 pounds red potatoes
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 red or yellow bell pepper, diced
2 large ripe tomatoes, diced
2 green onions, minced
1 bunch cilantro, minced
juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon sweetener
1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/4 teaspoon hickory smoke powder or liquid
smoked salt, to taste
1. Clean potatoes carefully, but do not peel. If they are not all about the same size, cut the larger ones to the approximate size of the smaller ones. Steam for 15 to 20 minutes, until just tender but not mushy. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, do all of the dicing, chopping, mincing of the other ingredients (green bell pepper, red or yellow bell pepper, tomatoes, green onions, and cilantro). I like a food processor for mincing the onions & cilantro together. Add each ingredient to a large bowl & gently stir together when you're finished.
3. Use a fork or a reamer to juice the lime over the veggies. Sprinkle all the spices & seasonings on top (black pepper, chili powder, cumin, oregano, sweetener, garlic, hickory smoke, and smoked salt). Gently stir again.
4. Cut the warm potatoes into large dice & gently stir them into salad.
5. Allow to rest at room temperature for an hour or so, then adjust seasonings & serve or refrigerate if serving later. Just take it out early enough so it's close to room temperature.
Good additions: Drained canned beans, corn or posole, peas, pasta, steamed rice, cooked grain (millet, bulgar, quinoa, etc), avocado, jalapeno, chipotle peppers...Add vegan sour cream if desired. This recipe is very flexible - adjust amounts to suit your taste.
This works on its own & can also be used as a burrito filling along with refried beans.
Source of recipe: I wrote this recipe.