1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 carrot, diced
1 cup lentils
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon red wine, optional
2 cups water
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 bunch chard, rinsed and chopped
1/2 head red leaf lettuce, torn Sunflower Seed Crumble Topping:
1/2 cup sunflower seeds, ground
2 teaspoons sea salt
1-2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Heat a large pot to medium. Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until they are translucent. Add the carrot and sauté until the carrots are slightly cooked. Stir in the lentils and bay leaf, then add wine, if using.
2. Pour water into the pot and turn heat up to high to bring to a boil. Once the water is boiling, turn the heat down to a simmer and let the lentils cook for about 20-30 minutes, until they are soft but not falling apart.
3. While the lentils are cooking, whisk together red wine vinegar, olive oil and salt in a bowl and let sit to combine. For topping, grind sunflower seeds in a coffee grinder or blender, pour into a bowl, and add salt and nutritional yeast. Add just enough olive oil to bring the mixture together into a crumbly texture.
4. Once the lentils have cooked, drain any excess liquid and stir in most of the red wine vinegar dressing. Set some aside to dress the lettuce. Add the chard to the pot and stir it into the lentils. Allow this to stay on the heat, on low, for at least 10 minutes.
5. Toss lettuce with the remaining dressing in a large bowl. Place some lettuce on a plate, and top with the lentil mixture. Finish the plate off with a sprinkle of the sunflower seed crumble.
Source of recipe: To watch a free video of me making this vegan lentil recipe, so I can show you the exact techniques that will make the perfect recipe, go to http://www.healthyveganrecipes.net/video/red-wine-lentil-salad