1 small head broccoli, chopped
sea salt, to taste
1 (8-ounce) package tempeh, cubed
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 sunburst zucchini, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 handful sprouts (optional)
pinch black pepper
1. Broccoli: To steam, fill a pot with enough water so that it's even with the steamer basket. Heat to a boil over high heat. Sprinkle a pinch of salt over the chopped broccoli, mixing it in with your hands. Place the broccoli in a steaming basket and put it over the pot of boiling water. Allow it to steam for 15 to 20 minutes, or until as soon as it can be pierced by a fork. (Or, if you prefer, you can leave it raw and simply toss it with the tempeh at the end).
2. Tempeh: If your tempeh is not pre-cooked, put the cubes in the oven at 300 degrees F for 15 minutes, or until brown.
3. Sauce: In a pan over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add and saute the onion until translucent, then add and saute the garlic until saute for 30 seconds. Add zucchini and saute until soft. Add bell pepper and saute for another minute.
4. Transfer vegetables from pan to blender or food processor. Add enough water (or unsweetened nondairy milk, for a creamier sauce) to come halfway up the vegetables and blend until smooth. Add more liquid if you need to, but the less you add the thicker the sauce. Add some sprouts to the sauce if you want to increase the nutritional punch! Once you have the consistency you like, add a pinch each of salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
5. In a bowl, toss together the broccoli and tempeh. Mix in the sauce or serve it poured over top. Fresh greens are an excellent addition to this dish.
Source of recipe: I hope you enjoy this vegetarian tempeh recipe, the latest of my healthy vegetarian recipes. To watch a free video of me making this vegan tempeh recipe, so I can show you the exact techniques that will make the perfect recipe, go to http://www.healthyveganrecipes.net/video/vegetarian-tempeh-recipe