2 (14 ounce) packages firm tofu, drained
3 1/2 cups nondairy milk (I use soy)
4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
black pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegan cheddar cheese (I use Daiya)
1/2 cup vegan mozzarella cheese (I use Daiya)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
8 ounces mushrooms, diced
8 ounces vegan sausage, diced
6 slices cracked wheat bread, lightly toasted
1 tomato, sliced, optional
1. Mash the tofu with a fork or potato masher; you don’t want it to be too smooth. Mix in the milk, nutritional yeast, turmeric, black pepper, cumin, and salt. Stir well, then stir in the vegan cheeses.
2. Saute the garlic, onion, pepper, and mushrooms. Add the sausage towards the end and saute so that it gets cooked according to the package instructions. Grease a large casserole dish.
3. Tear up the toasted bread into small, crouton-sized pieces and set aside. Put the bread pieces and all sauteed veggies into prepared dish. Pour the tofu mixture over the veggies, then make sure it’s all mixed together pretty evenly.
4. Cover the dish and put it into the refrigerator, allowing it to set up overnight. I have read that you could put it in the freezer for about 2 hours to achieve a similar outcome, however, I have not tried this. The next morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
5. Uncover casserole, and add tomato to the top, if desired. Bake for about 40-50 minutes, give or take. Turn casserole about halfway through to make sure that it’s baking evenly. When done baking, give it about 5-10 minutes to cool before serving.
Source of recipe: We created this recipe and then I blogged about it. The blog post with additional recipe ideas can be found here: http://blog.phonicshotgun.info/?p=105