2 flax eggs (http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=7678.0 )
3/4 cup almond flour
3/4 cup raw buckwheat flour
1/2 teaspoon double acting baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 tablespoon basil
1/2 tablespoon oregano
1/2 tablespoon parsley
1/4 tablespoon thyme
1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
1 tablespoon water (add 1/2 tablespoon, as needed)
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 small orange bell pepper, finely chopped
2 baby portobello mushrooms, finely chopped
1 small white onion, finely chopped
1 cup tomato or pizza sauce
1 cup vegan mozzarella cheese (I use Daiya)
1 (4 ounce) can chopped black olives
1. For the pizza crust, mix together flax eggs using hot water. Let this sit and rest as you prepare the dry ingredients. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl. Adjust seasonings, to taste.
2. Add wet ingredients. Mix well with hands until you have a ball of dough. Place ball of dough on an oiled nonstick mat or on oiled parchment paper. Oil hands, and press dough as thin as you can get it; somewhere between a wheat thin and a triscuit. Closer to a wheat thin.
3. Bake for 15 minutes, until it feels crispy to the touch or you have a nice golden brown color along the edges. Remove from oven and set oven to a low-medium broil.
4. For toppings, saute garlic, bell pepper, mushrooms and onion over medium heat. Add oil if needed; don't overcook them, as this is just to heat them up. Top pre-baked pizza crust with the red sauce and veggies.
5. Add cheese and top with chopped black olives. Place pizza in oven on low-medium broil. Cook until you have a nice golden top. Be careful not to burn it.
The key to this recipe is in the crust. It needs to be thin so it cooks nice and crispy. If it's too thick, you will end up with the wrong texture. Feel free to mix up the toppings. I've tried all kinds. I have even replaced the red sauce for a basil pesto and even a vegan alfredo sauce. It's very versatile.
Source of recipe: I was given tips on the dough while at a Wholefoods cooking class by one of the patrons attending.