2 cups vital wheat gluten
1 cup vegetarian chicken broth
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons agave nectar
1/4 teaspoon mesquite liquid smoke
1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1/2 (14 ounce) package firm tofu
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1. In a large bowl, add the vital wheat gluten. In a food processor, process all the wet ingredients, nutritional yeast, tofu, and spices until smooth.
2. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the wheat gluten. Mix well with a spoon then knead with hands.
3. Roll into a log that is 2 1/2-3" wide. Loosely roll foil around the seitan log and twist both ends like a tootsie roll.
4. Place in a pot with several inches water. Have something holding it from the bottom so it is not touching the water (like a deep cookie cutter).
5. Steam for 1 hour. When done steaming, take out of pot, allow to cool. When cool, slice thinly like deli meat.
Source of recipe: I wrote the recipe. For more information, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2012/03/california-reuben-sandwich.html