2 tablespoons vegan butter
4 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup nondairy milk
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 pieces sourdough bread
4 slices vegan muenster cheese, divided
1/2 package (5 1/2 ounces) vegan ham slices, divided
4 slices vegan turkey meat, divided (I use http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=41999.0 )
1 tablespoon olive oil, optional
1-2 tablespoons Dijon mustard, to taste
1-2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise, to taste
sprinkle powdered sugar, to top
1. Melt butter in a large skillet. In a bowl, combine the cornstarch, milk, flour, and salt. Mix until lumps are gone. Pour into a small baking pan.
2. Coat each side of the bread with French toast batter and fry in the pan until golden on each side. Once 1 side is fried, flip and fry the other side.
3. Add 2 pieces muenster cheese to 2 of the slices. Cover with lid to melt. Fry the ham slices and turkey meat until slightly crispy. Add olive oil to the pan if the butter from the French toast runs out.
4. In a small bowl, combine equal parts mustard and mayonnaise. Spread over each piece of the non-cheesy French toast.
5. Pile on the ham and turkey, and top with the cheesy French toast. Cut in 1/2. Dust with powdered sugar.
Serve with hash browns or breakfast potatoes.
Source of recipe: I wrote the recipe. For more information, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2012/03/monte-cristo-sandwich.html