Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add garlic, onion, ginger, pepper, cumin, coriander,paprika, turmeric, nutmeg. Mix, saute until garlic and onions are slightly browned, about 3 min.
- Add carrots, potatoes, zucchini. Mix well with spices and cook 5 min.
- Add lemon juice and 1/4 cup water. Stir regularly, cook partially covered, until vegetables are soft and cooked, 10 min give or take a little, depends on how small you chopped your pieces...the smaller the quicker they soften.
- Turn off heat and remove. Purée vegetables to a creamy pulp with immersion blender. Or you can add the liquid in #5 and puree vegetables that way. I have to say I started without the liquid and then added most of it to finish blending, saving some for later. Seemed better with the liquid for me. Everyone is different so use your most comfortable way.
- Return to medium heat. Add coconut milk, broth powder, salt. Stir well, simmer 2-3 min.
- Add water gradually, stirring regular, maintain low boil, cook for 5 min.
- Continue to cook on medium low, reduce to desired consistency.
- Serve with bread or crackers if you wish. I had some olive oil & sea salt pita chips with mine. Very delicious ! Serves 3 generously.
* I started this dish without thinking about using the coconut milk. It wasn't till the end that I decided to add it in. This soup is just as well without it, so if for any reason you don't want to use coconut milk any nut milk will do. I had added 1 cup plain almond milk to the batch but I'm sure the coconut milk overflavored it which is why I removed it from the recipe above and added and extra cup of water instead. You can add the almond milk to start and see if you like the flavor and if you want the extra boost, the coconut milk will give you that. Both ways are very tasty in their own way ! Use either 1 cup coconut milk, 1 cup almond milk, or both reducing the water to 2 cups, give or take to your desired thickness.