1 onion, chopped finely
1 (8-ounce) package mushrooms, chopped
1-2 (16 ounce) jars favorite pasta sauce - (think Mushrooms & Pesto)
2 cups frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed of most of its water
12 Lasagna noodles
1 bag of vegan shredded cheese - mozzerella. (I like Daiya, but Follow your Heart is good too.)
3 tablespoons miso
3-4 tablespoons tahini
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 block of medium firm tofu, drained and squeezed
1 cup fresh basil, stems removed and chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, peeled
1/8 cup pine nuts
1/8 cup olive oil
1/8 cup nutritional yeast
You will need 1 large skillet, 1 large pot for boiling noodles, a big bowl, a food processor, and a 9x13 casserole dish.
1. Preheat Oven to 375 Degrees F. Heat up some olive oil in pan over medium heat. Bring to a boil water in large pot for Lasagna Noodles, add some oil to the top of the pot to prevent sticking - boil al dente, and rinse with cold water. Chop up whole onion, and saute until carmelizing/translucent.
2. While the onion is sauteeing slice up the mushrooms, and thaw out 2 cups of frozen spinach in the microwave. Add mushrooms in with the onions, and sautee. (Don't forget to stir the frying mushrooms occasionally, while you're preparing everything else.)
3. Prepare tofu by removing excess water by wrapping tofu in several paper towels and squeezing.
4. Tofu Ricotta: In your bowl, crumble in drained tofu (Think Ricotta, only not gross!) Add miso, tahini and rice vinegar to the Tofu Ricotta, and mix it all up! Make sure you don't have any chunks of miso or tahini left.
5. Time to make the Pesto: In your food processer add the Basil, Pine Nuts, Peeled Garlic Cloves, Nutritional Yeast and 1/8 Cup of Olive Oil into the food processor or chopper, and process away! If it's too solid I add a little water or olive oil so that it will blend more smoothly.
6. Check on your mushrooms and onions they are probably done.
7. Blend Pesto in with tofu ricotta. Add as much as you like! Usually I reserve half to spread on some crusty bread. to go with the lasagna. Drain the thawed spinach as much as possible. We don't want a watery lasagna. I usually just mix this is with the mushrooms for ease of assembly.
Time to layer the lasagna:
First Coat the bottom of the pan with some of your favorite sauce. Add four noodles across, then spread half of the pesto-tofu mixture across the noodles. Sprinkle half of the mushrooms, and half of the spinach over the tofu. Cover with a thin layer of sauce. Repeat. Finish with the last four noodles, and cover with Sauce. Sprinkle as much shredded vegan cheese over the top of the casserole, as you like. I usually use half a block.
8. Bake 30-45 Minutes. If the vegan cheese hasn't melted yet, broil it for a few minutes at the end.
Note: This goes well with a salad and garlic bread!
Note on Decadence: If you want it to be even more sinful, melt in some vegan cream cheese and up the anti on the nutritional yeast in the tofu mixture. Being bad is, oh so good. :-)
The reason I call this Love Potion Lasagna is because I once made it for a friend and they told me that someone would probably want to marry me based on this recipe alone. So if you want to impress a date - this recipe is for you.