2 cups warm water (110 degrees F / 45 degrees C)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1-1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast or 2 packets
3 cups white wheat bread flour
3 cups whole wheat bread flour
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons molasses (optional)
1 tablespoon salt (not iodized)
These directions are intended for a bread mixer but you can make it by hand if you wish, but try to keep your total mixing time to about 5 minutes maximum.
1. In a cup, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof. the yeast will get foamy and make many little bubbles. If it doesn’t, start over.
2. Except for 1/2 cup flour, combine all other ingredients in your mixing bowl. Mix until mushy and well combined. Add the sugar and yeast from the cup.
3. Using your fingers or a spoon and keeping fingers out of the moving parts. Begin to add the last 1/2 cup of flour. You are watching for the dough to ball up and clean the sides of the bowl so the dough isn’t sticking to the sides of the bowl. You may not need all the flour or you may need a little extra depending the moisture content of your flour. Cover the mixer bowl and let it set for 30 to 45 minutes.
4. Start the mixer and run it for just a few turns to knock the dough back down. Take the dough out to a clean floured counter. Knead for a few minutes sprinkling small amounts of flour as you do to prevent sticking. Knead just enough to get a nice shape and divide in half.
5. Shape into 2 loaves and place into two well greased 9" x 5" inch loaf pans. Allow to rise until dough has doubled in size. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 40 minutes. Remove from the pans to cool and don’t cover or wrap until the heat is gone to prevent soggy bottoms. Enjoy…