Almond-Apricot Granola with Applesauce and Maple Syrup
5 cups rolled oats (not quick oats or instant)
1 cup raw almonds, chopped or whole
1 cup raw pumpkin seeds, chopped or whole
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, with rack in the center of the oven. Use nonstick 2 baking sheets, or line with parchment paper. In large bowl, add oats, almonds, pumpkin seeds, ground flaxseed, brown sugar and cinnamon. Mix well.
2. In a smaller bowl, add applesauce, maple syrup and oil. Stir well. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix very well, until all the oats are moist. Divide mixture onto prepared baking sheets, making sure the pan is full to the edges and the mixture is pressed flat.
3. Bake 1 pan at a time, each for 30-45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to ensure the granola bakes evenly (make sure to press it flat again after stirring). Granola should be golden brown when done; be careful not to over bake.
4. If it's not done after 30 minutes and you return it to the oven, check every 5 minutes until it is done. Place baking sheets on wire rack to cool.
5. When granola is completely cool, add the raisins and dried apricots. Mix well and store in an air-tight container.
Source of recipe: I knew I liked oats, almonds, apricots and cinnamon. This is what came of it.