Aunt Carol's Coffeecake Vegan Style
3 cups flour (I've used half spelt/half white)
5 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons oil
1-2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup vanilla soymilk
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 cups nuts (I use walnuts), chopped
2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup vegan butter, melted (butter flavored shortening also works)
1. Grease a 9x13 pan and put a little flour around the bottom to prevent sticking. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix together the dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, salt, sugar.
2. Add shortening. Make a well in the center and add liquids - water, oil, milk, vanilla. Mix well.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together brown sugar, nuts and cinnamon. (I sometimes add another1/2 cup of sugar and nuts, but I have a big sweet tooth.)
4. Put half of the dough in the pan and spread so it covers the bottom. This is not easy to do, but whatever you do will work. Put half of the brown sugar mixture on top. Put second half of dough on top, and try to spread evenly. Put rest of brown sugar mixture on top.
5. Pour melted "butter" on top, spreading out as evenly as possible. Bake at 350* for 35 minutes. Can be made the night before and refrigerated, but add 5 minutes or so to the baking time if it is cold when put in the oven.
Source of recipe: My Aunt Carol has made this for years. I just adjusted it for us vegans, and even my carnivore Dad likes it.