Baked Spaghetti Squash Creole
3/4 pound spaghetti squash, halved and deseeded
4 ounces seitan, crumbled or vegan ground crumbles
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon Bragg’s
hot sauce, to taste
1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
1 slice vegan cheese, optional
1 crispbread (I use Wasa)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Wrap each squash in plastic wrap, and microwave for 10 to 12 minutes. Once this is done, let it cool so you don’t burn your hands while digging out the flesh of 1/2 with a fork. Set aside.
2. Add crumbles to a loaf pan. For sauce, combine tomato sauce, maple syrup, lemon juice, hot sauce, Bragg's, and seasoning. Set aside.
3. In a small frying pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, sauté the peppers and onions until they turn a light golden brown. Add the squash and gently pour in the sauce.
4. Lower the heat and let that simmer for 1-2 minutes (until the sauce begins to be absorbed), then turn off the heat. Pour this mixture into your loaf pan over the crumbles.
5. On top, break apart the vegan cheese, then crumble the cracker on top. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes then broil for 3 minutes or longer until the top turns golden brown.
Enjoy this delicious New Orleans inspired meal.