Baked Tomato with Tofu Spinach Basil Ricotta and Panko Topping
1/2 block firm tofu (12 ounces), mashed
2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
2 tablespoons spinach, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoon nondairy milk
1-2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil (plus more for drizzling)
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon vegan Parmesan (plus more for top)
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
salt and pepper, to taste Topping:
1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
1 teaspoon fresh basil, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
salt and pepper, to taste
olive oil, as needed 3 or 4 medium tomatoes
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. For ricotta, in a large bowl, mash the tofu, then add remaining ingredients. Mix well.
2. In a smaller bowl, combine the dry topping ingredients. Add enough olive oil to topping just to make the crumbs stick. Cut the top of each tomato, reserve top, and take out the core.
3. Add the ricotta filling to the tomatoes, then top with the panko mixture. Place tomatoes on a small baking dish. Place the tomato tops in the dish, but not on top of the stuffed tomatoes yet.
4. Drizzle everything with a bit of olive oil, and bake for about 5-10 minutes, until you notice the panko starting to brown. Remove from oven and using a fork, add the tomato tops back to the tomatoes covering the panko.
5. Return to the oven and let bake for another 5-10 minutes, or until the tomatoes seem soft and baked.
Top the baked tomatoes with vegan Parmesan and salt.
Source of recipe: I wrote the recipe. For more information, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2012/04/baked-tomato-with-tofu-spinach-bas...