Banana Cream Pie (Diner Style)
2 cups ice-cold soymilk (I used rice; put milk in freezer for twenty minutes)
1/2 cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup erythritol + 1 heaping 1/32 teaspoon of stevia extract powder)
4 + 1/2 tablespoon ClearJel (not instant)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegan margarine (Earth Balance Butter)
1 teaspoon vanilla (I used Nielsen-Massey)
3 bananas (medium in size)
9" pre-baked vegan graham cracker pie crust
1. Slice bananas and sprinkle with lemon juice; mix the two in a bowl; this is to prevent the bananas from browning.
2. Combine in another bowl, sugar, ClearJel, and salt and whisk them together until well blended.
3. Add ice-cold milk and vigorously whisk until smooth. Then transfer to saucepan.
4. Set the heat to medium.
5. Stir constantly until mixture thickens which will happen around ten minutes time; it will look like a very thick paste when you're done.
6. Allow it to bubble then turn down the heat to a low setting; cook for 1 minute and then remove from heat (use a watch to time this).
7. Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla.
8. Allow it to cool.
9. Bake your crust for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees F.
10. Pour half the mixture into pie crust and line with bananas.
11. Pour remainder of the mixture on top of the bananas.
12. Add another layer of sliced bananas to the top of the filling; you can add yellow food coloring to give it that yolk look. If you do this, please use natural food coloring as the other stuff is made of petroleum by-products.
16. Let the filling cool for a few hours until firm.
17. Top the pie with your choice of soy whip and serve.
Note: I personally like Rich's Whip; if you can get your hands on one, freeze a metallic bowl for ten minutes and then whip with a hand mixer to get some really nice peaks. Pour over pie.
If you use Soyatoo's Soy Whip as I did, it'll melt very quickly making your pie not the best looking but still very, very tasty.