Basic Couscous Pilaf
1 cup couscous
1 1/4 cup water
1 medium onion
1 piece celery
cumin to taste
chile pasillo to taste (this is not a hot chile)
- chop onion, heat frying pan on medium/high flame, pour in enough balsamic v. to cover the bottom generously. add onions. stir onions until they have been coated with balsamic then cover and cook, stirring occasionally until onions are translucent but not limp. at this point the onion should be a little crunchy and very sweet. If you chopped the onion coarsely chop some more right in the pan.
- while onion is frying, heat up the water to boil
- chop celery
- mix all dry ingredients - use lots of currants (if you don't have currants use raisins but currant are more compatible - especially in size.)
- when water boils turn off heat and add all dry ingredients (or add celery a minute earlier - that's what i did last night and it worked nicely.) stir then cover for five minutes
- around halfway through the five minutes add the fried onions, stir in and cover.