Beet and Bulgur Burgers
(All measurements are approximate)
1 cup Vital Wheat Gluten (can be found in the baking isle of a regular supermarket or at your local health food store)
1 cup chickpea flour (available at Asian, Mediterranean, Arab, Indian or health food stores)
2 medium fresh beets shredded
2 cups cooked bulgur/cracked wheat
2 Tablespoons each of granulated garlic and dried rosemary
2 teaspoons sage (I use dried leaves)
1 cup vegetable broth with 1/4 cup dark soy sauce combined
(1) Mix shredded beets with cooked bulgur
(2) Mix Vital Wheat Gluten with chickpea flour and spices
(3) Mix flour mixture into beet/bulgur mixture and add broth bit by bit, mixing well, until the mixture just begins to become sticky or can stick together (take a handfull and press it together to see if it sticks together), at this point stop adding liquid
(-)If mixture is too dry (but it shouldn't be, but just in case!), add small amounts of water bit by bit until mixture just begins to become sticky - You don't want the mixture to get too wet!
(4) Knead the mixture until it feels a bit "spongey"
(5) Form patties and fry/grill with a little oil (helps to cover the pan with a lid) for about 10 minutes or until browned and cooked through