THE BEST Lemon Cupcakes!!!
2 cups nondairy or half nondairy milk, half water (I use vanilla soymilk)
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup canola oil
1-1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lemon zest, or to taste (adds a really good lemon flavor)
1. Curdled Milk: In a measuring cup, combine milk and vinegar; set aside to let curdle. I let it set about 5 minutes
2. In a bowl, combine the curdled milk with sugar, oil, lemon juice, almond extract, and vanilla extract.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients and stir until there are no big lumps, then mix in lemon zest.
4. Pour batter into greased cupcake pan (I used papers because it is less mess), filling the cups till they are about 2/3 full.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 22 minutes, or until a toothpick or fork comes out clean when you poke it. You can frost these or eat them plain. They are wonderful either way!
Source of recipe: This is a recipe that I tweaked from swirlycinnacakes' recipe on food.com. =)