The Best Vegetable Soup I Ever Ate!!
1. 5 quarts of water (filtered is best!)
2. 1 cup dried lentils (washe'd & sorted)
3. bay leaves
4. 1/4 cup barley
5. 1 med rutabega
6. 2 lg yams
7. 4 onions
8. 5 carrots (washe'd & unpeeled)
9. 6 stalks celery, sliced thinly
10. 1 small head of cabbage (chopped, not shredded)
11. 2 28oz can tomatoes (diced)
12. 3-4 tablespoon salt (may be reduced if necessary)
13. 1 tablespoon black pepper
14. 1 tablespoon garlic powder
15. 1 tablespoon ground cumin
Bring water to boil in a stockpot. Add lentils, barley and bay leaves. Meanwhile, chop (in a food processor is easiest) ingredients 5-8 until the pieces are no larger than a thumbnail. Add them to the boiling water. Add the rest of the ingredients, except celery and pepper, moving to a larger pot if necessary. Add enough additional water to fill pot if necessary. Let boil vigorously for 10 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes (or until lentils are cooked). Add celery and pepper and cook for 5 more minutes.
This soup is filling, yet light and very tasty. Parsnips & turnips are easily substitued for Rutabegas when in season, and add a great flavor to the soup.
This soup freezes extremely well!! I cook in large quantities, save a few quarts in the fridge (it stays edible for over a week, and its perfect for a busy schedule!!) and freeze the rest in 2-3 qt. portions.
You can't go wrong with this soup. Enjoy and let me know how you like it.