Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili and Burrito Filling
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
5 cloves or garlic, minced
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
zest and juice of one lime
3 (15-ounce) cans black beans (4-1/2 cups)
1 (14-ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes
1 cup salsa
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1-1/2 teaspoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
salt or adobo seasoning, to taste
ground black pepper. to taste
fresh cilantro (garnish)
more lime juice (garnish)
1. In large saucepan, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook 3 or 4 minutes, until onion just starts to turn translucent.
2. Add the sweet potato chunks and zest and juice of the lime. Cook 10 to 15 more minutes, until sweet potato begins to soften.
3. Add black beans, tomatoes, salsa, jalapeno, chili powder, cumin, cocoa powder, oregano, salt, and ground pepper. Cook 10 more minutes to bring everything together.
4. Garnish with fresh cilantro and fresh lime juice on the top.
5. Serve over rice, quinoa, or on a tortilla for a kicking burrito. You could also add some vegan cheddar or Tofutti sour cream. This recipe would also be good with salsa verde!
Source of recipe: This recipe was modified from one I found on http://www.care2.com/greenliving/black-bean-sweet-potato-chili.html