Broccoli and Rice Casserole (with Tofu and "Cheese")
1 cup dry brown rice
2 vegetable bouillon cubes
3 tablespoons margarine, divided
1 (16-ounce) container extra firm tofu
1 cup chopped yellow onion
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspooon salt
4 cups chopped broccoli
1 (8-ounce) package cheddar cheese shreds (I use Daiya)
2 tablespoon white flour
2 cups nondairy creamer (I use coconut creamer)
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1. Cook brown rice according to directions, adding two bouillon cubes to the water.
2. In a pan over medium-high heat; add 1 tablespoon margarine, tofu, and onion; cook until onions are translucent. Add crushed red pepper flakes, pepper, and salt; stir to thoroughly combined.
3. Steam broccoli for 6 to 7 minutes.
4. In a casserole dish, combine the rice, tofu mixture, broccoli, and cheese.
5. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons margarine. Add flour and stir with margarine until a paste forms. Slowly stir in non-dairy creamer; continue stirring until sauce becomes thick. Add nutritional yeast and mustard; stir until thoroughly combined. Pour sauce over rice, tofu and cheese in casserole dish.
6. Sprinkle bread crumbs on top of casserole and cover dish. Bake in 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
This is a great "make ahead" recipe for the work week.