1 pint figs (choose the largest-sized variety of figs you can find)
1 (5-ounce) package vegan bacon
1 tablespoon agave nectar, or to taste
1/4 to 1/2 cup vegan mozzarella-style cheese, to taste (I use Daiya)
1/4 to 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar. to taste
1. Preheat broiler or grill.
2. Cut off both stem and base of each fig. Slice open each fig - not all the way, but almost.
3. Into each fig: add 1 drop of agave nectar, then stuff with Daiya cheese. Wrap each fig in a vegan bacon slice, then secure with toothpick.
4. Place figs on broiler pan or grill and broil/grill for 3 to 6 minutes. Look for the Daiya cheese to melt and and the vegan bacon to crisp and turn dark on the edges.
5. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar either served on a plate as an entree with a nice salad or as appetizers.
Alternative: Place figs on broiler pan in the oven @ 400 degrees F for a few minutes to melt the Daiya cheese, then place in a the broiler for a few minutes to crisp the vegan bacon (This has worked best for me. My broiler did not melt the cheese before the vegan bacon started to become burned, however, my broiler sucks!)
Source of recipe: This recipe was modified from a Grilled Prosciutto Wrapped Fig recipe from:http://italianfoodforever.com and an adaptation of something similar served in a restaurant.