Buffalo Style Mac & Cheese
1 pound elbow noodles
4 celery stalks, finely chopped
2 teaspoons oil (I use grapeseed)
2 teaspoons garlic powder
3 tablespoons vegan butter
2 cups vegan creamer (I use soy), divided
2 teaspoons mustard powder
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup hot sauce (I use Frank's)
8 ounces vegan cheddar cheese, shredded
8 ounces vegan monterey jack cheese, shredded
4 ounces vegan blue cheese, shredded, divided
breadcrumbs, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add elbow noodles and cook according to package directions, until al dente. Drain and set aside.
2. While noodles are cooking, begin cooking celery by placing it in a small sauce pan, along with oil and garlic powder. Cook over medium heat until soft, and set aside.
3. In a large saucepan, melt the vegan butter with 1/4 creamer. Mix in dry mustard and flour until well combined. Add remaining cream and the hot sauce, and stir.
4. Whisk the shredded cheeses (minus blue cheese) into the sauce until melted, and sauce has become thick. Add celery.
5. In a large bowl, mix pasta, sauce and 1/2 the shredded blue cheese . Lightly coat a 13x9" baking dish with butter, oil, or spray. Pour pasta mixture into baking dish and top with breadcrumbs and remaining blue cheese. Cook for 30-40 minutes.
If you like to use vegan meats, you could add some chik'n strips in with the celery and cook it with about 1/4 of the hot sauce.
Source of recipe: http://catskitchen.blogspot.com/ This was inspired by a close friend's non-vegan recipe.