Butternut Squash Cream Sauce
2 cloves garlic
2 carrots, chopped
2 small/medium tomatoes
1 vegan bouillon cube
1 (16 ounce) package cooked butternut squash puree
(I used frozen, but you could use fresh cooked and puree with the vegetables or use canned pumpkin)
1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
thyme, to taste
oregano, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste
1 pound whole wheat pasta (I like rotini)
1/2- 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
chives, to garnish
1. In a blender, puree the garlic, onion, carrots, tomato, and bouillon cube. You may need to add a little coconut milk to get the blender going.
2. In a medium pot, warm up the frozen butternut squash. Add the vegetable puree and the coconut milk and whisk together. Add the dried herbs and stir until combined. Bring to a low simmer and hold while the pasta is cooking. Taste for salt and pepper, and season.
3. Meanwhile, in a very large pot, cook your whole wheat pasta according to package directions. The sauce can wait for your pasta, but the pasta should not wait for your sauce!
4. When the pasta is almost al dente, drain, holding off a bit of cooking water to loosen up the sauce, if necessary. Put the pasta back in the pot over low heat, add the sauce, and combine.
5. Finish cooking the pasta and sauce together until al dente and turn off the heat. Toss very liberally with nutritional yeast, and serve in shallow bowls. Sprinkle each bowl with some snipped chives, and enjoy!
Source of recipe: I came up with this recipe trying to come up with a savory recipe for a can of coconut milk in the pantry.