1/2 package organic extra firm tofu
soy sauce or Braggs
sea salt and black pepper
homemade bolognese sauce or pre-made. I use Dolmio mushroom bolognese, it’s lovely!
6 cannelloni shells
Tofutti mozzarella cheese
vegan parmesan powder
1. Put a pot of water on to boil, medium size saucepan about 2/3 full. Drain and cube your extra firm tofu, about 1/4"-1/2" cubes.
2. Fill a shallow container with 2/3 cup soy sauce or Braggs, mix with 3 tablespoon flour.
3. Pour cubes straight off cutting board into this mixture. Give them a good toss.
4. Let them marinate for a few minutes (up to overnight if you want to do a few things ahead of time)
5. In the meantime, place your cannelloni in the boiling water, I usually cook about 8, just in case, some always end up splitting! Cook according to manufacturer's instructions. Then set up your frying pan with a bit of vegetable oil (1.5 tablespoon).
6. Also set up a plate with 1/2 cup flour and 1 tablespoon sea salt and a bit of pepper to taste. (Side note: the salt really gives it a "cheesy" sort of taste, so while you may be tempted to cut it down, its really worth trying once with the full amount of salt. Not something to have all the time, but as an alternative to ricotta stuffed cannelloni and stuffed shells, this really works!)
7. Okay! The little production line is set up. Dredge your tofu cubes in the flour and then fry them in the pan until golden brown. Set them on a plate lined with paper towel or a napkin.
8. Fill cooked cannelloni with cooked tofu cubes. Line up on a cooking tray or baking dish. Cover with a bit of sauce (enough to cover the pasta, otherwise they go crispy). Sprinkle with veggie parmesan "cheese" then cover with two pieces of Tofutti mozzarella "cheese" slices.
9. Pop into 175 cup / 350 Fahrenheit oven for approximately 15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and sauce is just browning on the edge of the dish/plate. I bake these on a decorative plate from IKEA, makes for really great presentation straight out of the oven.
10. Yum! Time to eat. :) Lovely simple meal for a sweet vegan couple!!! Or triple etc. for large family get-togethers. Great way to introduce tofu!
From, Steven and Cassandra