Carrot & Mango Soup
6 to 7 large carrots, about 2 lbs
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1-1/4 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 cup orange juice
4 cups vegetable stock or commercially available broth
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
2 large very ripe mangoes
sprinkling of snipped chives or chopped parsley
1. Peel and coarsely chop carrots.
2. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and curry. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion has softened and mixture is very fragrant, about 5 minutes.
3. Add carrots, broth, juice and salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until carrots are very tender, about 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, peel and slice mangoes away from stones. Coarsely chop. Purée in a food processor until as smooth as possible. Turn into a small bowl. When carrots are tender, remove from broth and purée in batches using a little of broth. Return purée to remaining broth in saucepan.
5. Stir in mango purée. Heat over medium-low heat, uncovered and stirring often, until hot, about 5 minutes. Serve hot or refrigerate and serve cold with a scattering of snipped chives. Soup will keep well, covered and refrigerated, for up to 3 days or freeze.
Nutrients per cup: 4.2 g protein, 1.1 mg iron, 2.8 g fat, 47.0 mg calcium, 24.7 g carbohydrates, 4.2 g fiber, 596.0 mg sodium, 134.0 calories.