Carrot Wench's Tomatotastic Sauce
2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
1 med/small onion, diced
8 - 10 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 to 1 cup red wine
1 large carrot, grated
1 small or 1/2 large zucchini, chopped
4 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 to 2 tablespoons Bragg's (or salt/soy sauce)
4 tablespoons (or to taste) Italian seasoning (or mix your preferred proportions of basil, oregano, marjoram, thyme, parsley, etc.)
24 oz. tomato paste (I used 4 of those 6 oz. cans)
1 cup dry textured soy protein
3/4 cup red lentils
enough water to cover lentils an inch or two
1. In a large saucepan, warm up olive oil on medium to med-high heat.
2. In a medium saucepan, heat water and lentils until boiling. Reduce heat and allow to simmer 10 - 15 minutes.
3. Once you've started those, your oil should now be hot enough to add the chopped onions. Cook those, stirring occasionally, until slightly translucent. Add minced garlic and cook for an additional minute or two.
4. Add the rest of your vegetables and enough red wine to simmer, about 5 minutes.
5. Your lentils are probably about done by now. Set aside, but do not drain.
6. Add tomato paste to simmering veggies and reduce heat to low. Add seasonings and textured soy protein.
7. If there is still LOTS of water left in your lentil pot, drain some of it off. Otherwise, just pour lentils and remaining water into the other pot and simmer, stirring often, for 30 minutes. (add water if needed for desired consistency) This will allow enough time for the textured soy protein to rehydrate in the juices, and for all the flavors to mingle and make love and give birth to delicious tomato sauce.
This is a pretty big batch, so I usually fill two big jars of this to freeze and save for later, with a hefty portion left over for immediate use.