canola oil, as needed
1 small onion, diced
1/2 bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
garlic powder, to taste
salt, to taste
fajita seasoning, to taste
1 (8 ounce) package vegan chicken strips
salsa, to taste
20 corn tortillas (5-6" diameter)
1. If you plan on baking, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Heat oil in a medium skillet, and saute onions, bell pepper and jalapeno until onions are translucent. Mix in seasoning. Add vegan chicken and cook until hot.
2. Add everything in the skillet to a food processor and process until smooth. Add salsa and process until it is mixed in. Heat tortillas so that they are soft and easy to roll, then add a very small amount of the filling, about 1 tablespoon. Roll them up tightly.
3. Now, you can either bake or fry taquitos. To fry, add 1/2 to 1" oil to a pan. When the oil is hot, place the taquitos in pan, sealed-side down. I suggest holding it down with tongs or another cooking utensil for a few seconds to keep them from unraveling.
4. Let cook for 30 to 60 seconds or until golden brown. Flip and repeat. Put paper towels on a plate and place cooked taquitos on it to drain excess oil. Let cool a few minutes and then enjoy.
5. To bake, place the rolled taquitos on a cookie sheet seal down. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool a while and then enjoy.
Serve with guacamole, vegan sour cream, salsa, and hot sauce. I hope you all like them as much as we did.
Source of recipe: I made up this recipe up tonight after a taquitos pregnancy craving. My family loved them so I had to share.