Chipotle Roasted Red Pepper Chowder
4 medium red peppers
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
salt, to taste
1/2 to 1 chipotle pepper, chopped, to taste *
4 cups broth
2 medium red potatoes, washed, cubed small
1 cup corn kernels
2 tablespoons vegan sour cream or 1/2 cup nondairy milk
1. Preheat your oven to broil. Place red peppers on a piece of foil; place in oven close to the broiler. When the top has charred, turn the peppers so each side blackens.
2. In a pan, heat olive oil. Add onion, saute until it is sweating. Stir in the garlic; cook until fragrant. Stir in cumin, salt, and chipotle pepper. (*Chipotle will spice up your soup quickly, so add a little at a time as to not over-do it.) Stir well and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add broth and potatoes; cook on medium heat until firm but soft.
4. By this point your all sides of your peppers should be crispy. Place them in a paper bag for a few minutes. This will encourage the skins to peel off. After you peel them, chop the peppers. Add them to the soup.
5. Puree 3/4ths of the soup and cook for 5 more minutes to blend flavors. Adjust flavors if need be.
6. Stir in corn and vegan sour cream. The sour cream is optional but it has a nice way of offsetting the spice of the chipotle while maintaining the smokey flavor. Serve hot or cold with crusty bread!
Source of recipe: I wrote this