The Chocoholics Ice Dream
4 cups vanilla soy milk
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/3 cup Hersheys unsweetened cocoa
1 cup raw cane sugar
1 cup vegan chocolate chips
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
10 popsicle sticks/thin craft sticks
10 dixie cups (small bathroom size)
1. Combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup of vanilla soy milk. Mix until well blended and set aside.
2. Put remaining vanilla soy milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Add Hersheys unsweetened cocoa and raw cane sugar to the Soy. Stir constantly until sugar is melted.
3. Stir in cornstarch mixture. Stir constantly until mixture bubbles and thickens. Reduce heat and continue to stir for 5 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and add vegan chocolate chips. Let it sit for a couple of minutes; add vanilla and stir to combine completely.
5. Let cool to room temperature; stirring occasionally to avoid crust build-up.
6. While mixture is cooling, cut pieces of aluminum foil large enough to cover the top of each dixie cup.
7. When mixture is cooled, fill dixie cups 1/4 - 1/2 inch from the top; cover with foil. Make small slit I middle of foil large enough to hold popsicle stick. Place popsicle stick into slit, making sure that the foil is able to hold stick upright until Ice Dream freezes. Put cups in freezer and allow to freeze for at least 24 hours.
8. Take treat out of the freezer, remove foil, and tear off paper cup. Sit back and ENJOY!
Being a die hard chocoholic, I thought it was the end of the world when I was told I had to become vegan for serious health reasons. All of the vegan recipes I saw called for an ice-cream maker, which I don't have. After many trials and tribulations, I came up with this version of chocolate ice-cream based on a recipe for Orange Pops. If you are a serious chocoholic as I am, then you are in for a real treat! The chocolate pops are like a piece of heaven!