Chocolate Raspberry (Or Strawberry) Vegan pecan Tart
2 cups pecans (about 8 ounces)
6 tablespoons (packed) golden brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) vegan margarine, melted (I use Earth Balance) Filling:
3/4 cup vegan creamer (soy milk works as well)
6 ounces bitter sweet chocolate chips Topping:
2 1/2 pint baskets raspberries or about 20 small-medium strawberries, thinly sliced
1/4 cup raspberry jam
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. In a food processor, finely grind the pecans, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Pour melted vegan butter into food processor and mix until it starts to form little to medium sized clumps.
2. In either 4 (4") tart pans or an 8" tart pan, press the crust mix into the pans. Make sure you press crust mixture up the side so you have a nice “bowl” for the chocolate filling! Once the crust is pressed into pan/pans, put it the oven to bake.
3. Start at 30 to 35 minutes for baking, and go with 5 minute increments until it's nice and crispy. Once the crust is finished, let it cool completely. For the filling, in a separate sauce pan, on low heat, bring the soy milk/creamer to a simmer.
4. Once it starts simmering, take it off the heat and throw in the chocolate chips. Mix the soy milk/creamer and chocolate chips until the mixture is nice and uniform, then pour the filling into cooled pecan tart crust. Let the filling cool for an hour or so.
5. The topping is where you can get creative. Lay raspberries tip side up randomly on the tart, or arrange strawberry slices. There is no “right way” or “perfect design;” the sky is the limit! For glaze, heat jam in a sauce pan until it is nice and syrupy, and simply apply with a brush!
Have fun! Unfortunately when I started to make the tart with raspberries, they somehow became really fuzzy (who decided it was a good idea to cover my raspberries with cotton ball I'll never know for sure, though I'm pretty sure it was my brother). My grandmother suggested that I use strawberries instead! This recipe is also on my vegan blog! (You should come check it out!):http://www.aveganblarg.com/2011/06/chocolate-raspberry-or-strawberry-pec...
Source of recipe: This is a recipe I got from Bon appetite! It wasn't vegan but I modified it to be vegan!