Chunky Lime Chili
1 teaspoon vegan margarine or olive oil
2 portobello caps or 1 handful mushrooms, roughly chopped
1/2 bell pepper (I used orange), roughly chopped
1/2 small onion, roughly chopped
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drain and rinse
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 lime, zest and juice of
1 tablespoon garlic
1 large handful fresh baby spinach (optional)
tortilla chips, to taste
vegan cheese, to taste (optional)
hot sauce or salsa, to taste (optional)
fresh cilantro, to taste (optional)
1. In a pan over medium-high heat, heat margarine. Add mushrooms, bell pepper, and onion; saute until tender.
2. In a pot, combine black beans and vegetable broth; stir to combine. Add sauteed vegetables, chili powder, cumin, and red pepper flakes; stir to combine. Add zest and juice of lime; stir to combine. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until chili is thick.
3. In a pan over medium-high heat, add spinach; lightly saute.
4. On a plate, place tortilla chips. Layer with sauteed spinach (this is really optional, I just like to add greens to everything I make). Spoon chili over top of tortilla chips and spinach.
5. You can top with some vegan cheese, hot sauce, or fresh cilantro. I added a little salsa to mine and thought it came out really good. You could also eat this just out of a bowl and leave out the tortilla chips. Enjoy!
Source of recipe: I love making chili and often play around with different variations. This is what I made for lunch today and I think it is fantastic!