Cinnamon Swirl Muffins
Cinnamon Swirl Topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup vegan margarine
1/4 cup flour
2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon Muffins:
1/4 cup ground flax seeds + 1/2 cup warm water (egg replacer)
1 cup nondairy milk + 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (vegan buttermilk)
1/2 cup vegan margarine
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. For topping, combine all topping ingredients until it presents a crumbly mixture. Using a pastry blender works really well with this. Set aside. This will be used as the cinnamon crumb topping of the muffins.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a muffin tin, or insert baking cups. Combine flax with warm water, and set aside. Combine nondairy milk with apple cider vinegar, and set aside.
3. For muffins, in a medium bowl, combine sugars and margarine, and beat until fluffy. Add in flax mixture, vegan buttermilk, and vanilla. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt, and mix just until blended. Do not over stir.
4. Fill prepared muffin tins with 1/2 the muffin mixture. Sprinkle 1/2 the cinnamon swirl topping on top of batter. Fill muffin tins with remaining muffin mixture and top with remaining cinnamon mixture.
5. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then remove to wire rack.
I'm in college and share a small house with 3 other women. The smell of these always wakes them up, and brings them into the kitchen! None of them are vegan, but they love these anyway.
Source of recipe: This recipe was modified from this one: https://sites.google.com/site/yourhomebasedmomrecipes/cinnamon-swirl-muf...