Coffee Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips
2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/4 cups organic sugar (I use part brown sugar if I have it on hand)
1/2 cup chocolate chips
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon baking powder (depends how fluffy you want it)
3 very ripe bananas
3/4 cup soy yogurt, vanilla or plain (typical 6-ounce container)
1/2 cup vegan margarine, melted and cooled
1/4 cup very strongly brewed coffee [u]Topping[/u]:
2 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoon ground coffee
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8" x 4" loaf pan.
2. In a bowl, combine dry ingredients (fluffy, sugar, chocolate chips, baking soda, salt, and baking powder)l. In another bowl, mash the bananas and combine all wet ingredients (bananas, soy yogurt, vegan margarine, and coffee). Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Pour batter into greased pan.
3. In a separate bowl, mix sugar and coffee together and sprinkle over the batter. Topping should completely cover the bread.
4. Pop it into the oven and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. I check it 1 hour just in case, but it usually needs another 10 to 15 minutes, depending on the oven. Bread is done when it gently pulls away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
5. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes. Then remove from pan and allow to finish cooling on a wire rack (this step is optional, but if you leave it in the pan let it cool for a while longer to avoid burning your tongue!)
I prefer making individual loaves using five 2" x 4" pans. These only need to bake for 45 minutes and in my experience they come out a little better than the large loaf!
This is my standby recipe that I regularly for potlucks, holidays, gifts... everyone always loves it and asks for more! It's my favorite dessert. Very moist.
Source of recipe: This recipe was modified from one by Oxfam America that encouraged the use of Fair Trade Certified ingredients. I always try to use Fair Trade ingredients when available: chocolate, coffee, bananas, and sugar.