Cranberry Button Cookies
1-1/2 cups fresh or dried cranberries
3 cups quick cooking oats
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup shortening
1-1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1. In a food processor, pulse cranberries until they are minced.
2. In a bowl, combine oats, flour, baking soda, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Cut in shortening until particles are very fine. Add cranberries and brown sugar. Mix until well blended.
3. Cover and refrigerate dough 1 hour.
4. Roll out dough to 1/4- inch thickness, then cut into 3-inch rounds. Transfer to greased cookie sheet.
5. Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 12 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool on rack.^