Creamy Macaroni & "Cheese"
Macaroni and Cheese:
16 ounces elbow macaroni
3 tablespoons vegan buttery spread
1 cup white onion, chopped
3 medium cloves garlic, minced
8 ounces vegan cream cheese, softened
2 1/2 cups unsweetened nondairy milk (I use almond)
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
pinch cayenne pepper
pinch black pepper
3 cups shredded vegan cheddar cheese (I use Daiya) Topping:
1/4 cup vegan buttery spread
1 cup panko
1 teaspoon dried dill
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1. Prepare pasta according to package directions. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350º F. Lightly grease a 9x13” glass baking dish and set aside.
2. Begin by melting 3 tablespoons vegan buttery spread in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 3-5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
3. Reduce heat to low and add cream cheese, milk, nutritional yeast, salt, paprika, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and cheddar cheese, stirring frequently until mixture is thoroughly combined and cheeses are melted.
4. Remove from heat and add cooked pasta, stirring until pasta is evenly coated. Pour into prepared baking dish and set aside. For the topping, melt the vegan buttery spread over medium heat.
5. Add panko, dill and thyme, stirring until combined, about 1 minute. Turn off heat and pour topping evenly over pasta mixture. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until mixture is bubbly and topping is light golden brown.
Source of recipe: Macaroni and cheese has always been one of my favorite foods growing up so I decided to create a vegan version that is creamy and cheesy.