Curried Butternut Squash Soup
1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed 1"
1 large yam, peeled and cubed 1"
olive oil, as needed
sprinkle sea salt
1 head garlic, top 1/4 of the bulb trimmed off to expose cloves
1 large yellow onion, diced
8 cups vegetable stock
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 lemon, juiced
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place the cubed squash and yam in a 9x13" baking dish, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle a little sea salt; stir to coat with the oil. Cover the baking dish tightly with foil. Place the trimmed garlic on a square of foil, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with sea salt. Wrap the foil into a pouch.
2. Put the baking dish of squash and yam and the packet of garlic into the oven for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes, uncover the squash and yam mixture, stir, and check to see if it needs more oil to prevent sticking. Check the garlic; if it's all brown and mushy inside, it's done, if not, it needs more time.
3. Put the uncovered baking dish and garlic pouch (if not done) back into the oven for 20 more minutes. Preheat a soup pot with about 1 tablespoon olive oil, and sprinkle with sea salt. Add onion, and cook over medium low heat until it's caramelized (about 10-15 minutes).
4. When the 20 minutes are up, remove the squash and yam mixture and the garlic from the oven. Put all of the squash and yam into the pot with the caramelized onion and squeeze the entire head of roasted garlic into the pot. Add vegetable broth, curry, paprika, salt, pepper and cayenne.
5. Bring the soup to a boil and then simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Once the soup has cooled a bit, add the lemon and puree the soup with an immersion blender. Taste for seasoning and add more salt, pepper, cayenne, or lemon, to taste.
Garnish with any of the following: fresh cracked pepper, a sprinkling of cayenne or paprika, toasted pumpkin seeds, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, or coarse sea salt.
Source of recipe: I wrote this recipe.