1 pound potatoes
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 medium yellow onion, minced
1/2 (12 ounce) package vegan ground beef (I use Yves or Smart Grounds)
salt and pepper, to taste
nutmeg, to taste
1 teaspoon curry powder or curry sauce mix
canola oil, as needed for deep frying
1/2 cup flour
1 Ener G egg replacer
2 cups bread crumbs (Panko is best
1. Boil or microwave the potatoes until tender. Place the oil in a frying pan and add the onion. Saute until the onion is tender.
2. Add the ground "meat", salt, pepper, nutmeg and curry powder, then saute about 3 minutes until crumbled. Set the meat aside while you peel and mash the potatoes.
3. Thoroughly mix the potatoes and the meat in a large bowl. Divide the potato mixture into 8 parts, and shape each portion into an 1/2" thick ellipse. Heat oil to 350 degrees F.
4. Dredge each portion in the flour and pat off the excess flour. Dip them into the egg replacer and then into the bread crumbs on a plate.
5. Deep-fry in preheated oil for about 3 minutes on each side until lightly browned. Drain them on paper towels.
Serve with thinly sliced cabbage and your favorite sauce (i.e. A1 steak sauce, ketchup, Heinz 57 or Japanese tonkatsu sauce).
Source of recipe: Veganized version of a recipe from bento.com.'