Dangerously Low Fat Carrot Cake
2 cups All-Purpose flour
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/3 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoon pumpkin (can use pumpkin pie filling)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup soymilk
1 tablespoon white vinegar
2 cups carrots (shredded)
1-2 teaspoon vegan buttery spread
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix the sugar with the applesauce.
3. Blend the soy milk with the vinegar and allow to curdle. Mix in with sugar and applesauce.
4. Add the pumpkin, ground flax, shredded carrots, vanilla and stir.
5. Add in dry ingredients and mix.
6. Grease a 9X13in pan or two 9in rounds with about 1 teaspoon vegan buttery spread*
7. Pour into pan(s) and bake for 30-45 mins.
*You can use cooking spray in place of the buttery spread, but the latter gives the cake a bit of richness without actually being fattening so I like it.
Also I sometimes like to add raisins to the batter and top with crushed pineapple.