Delicious Eggplant with Coconut Milk
2-3 Chinese eggplants (long thin eggplant)
1 can coconut milk
4 minced garlic cloves
1/2 sliced red onion
1 teaspoon finely minced ginger
5 fresh basil leaves (shredded)
oil for sautéing
mint leaves for garnish
1) Slice the Chinese eggplants with a diagonal cut into 1/2-inch thick round slices. Its important to use Chinese eggplants -- regular eggplants take a long time to cook and are not as sweet as Chinese ones.
2) Heat a wok or saute pan with some oil (approx. 1 tbsp) at medium-high heat.
3) Add onions, garlic and ginger. Saute for approx 2-3 minutes. Add salt & pepper to taste. Try adding a dash of nutmeg as well -- it really brings out the flavour of the red onion.
4) Add approx. 3-4 tablespoons more oil to the pan, and add the eggplant. Saute until the eggplants become soft with still some hard spots.
5) Add 1 can of coconut milk. Reduce heat to a vigorous simmer. Add shredded basil leaves. Simmer approx. 10-15 minutes so the sauce thickens and the eggplants are entirely soft. Add salt + pepper to taste.
Garnish with mint leaves and serve with hot steamed rice (Basmati is very good with this dish). This is one of my favourite dishes to make -- and so easy! Enjoy.