Delicious Fruit and Spice Muffins
1/3 cup fruit juice (I use orange but apple would work!)
1/2 tablespoon molasses
2 ounces dark brown sugar
1 ounce raisins
1 ounce dried pineapple and/or papaya
2 ounces crystallized ginger, chopped
1 1/2 ounces desiccated, unsweetened coconut
1 tablespoon flaxmeal + 3 tablespoons warm water
1/4 cup oil
1 mashed banana
1 teaspoon almond/vanilla extract
5 1/2 ounces wheat flour (or 1/2 plain white/1/2 wheat)
3 level teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2-1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2-1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and lightly grease muffin pan. Cook together fruit juice, molasses and brown sugar in a saucepan until it's all melted and mixed together, but don't let it boil.
2. Add dried fruit, crystallized ginger, and coconut and leave to soak, covered for about 20 minutes, until raisins are all plump.
3. In a small bowl, mix together flax and water and leave it to sit for 1-2 minutes, then add oil, mashed banana, and almond/vanilla extract; stir until combined.
4. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, spices and salt, and slowly mix in banana/oil mixture and fruit/sugar mixture until it's all well combined.
5. Fill muffin pan, place on a shelf near the top of oven and bake for about 22-26 minutes.
I find these muffins get a nice hard crust whilst being bready and moist on the inside. I enjoy these for breakfast with a little bit of margarine and a cup of chai! I keep meaning to add 1/2 teaspoon each of lemon and orange zest as I think that would be a great addition, and obviously you can play around with the fruit and spices to your desire. One combo I really like is lime zest, 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice, apple juice, and dried apple and ginger pieces with lots of ground cloves, yum! Anyway, enjoy!
Source of recipe: I wrote this recipe.