Doughnuts with a Simple Glaze
1 1/2 cups nondairy milk (I use soy)
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
2 (1/4 ounce) packets instant yeast
1/3 cup warm (100 degree F) water
2 egg replacers (I use Ener G)
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg (best if using fresh ground)
23 ounces (by weight) all purpose flour, divided
1 to 1 1/2 gallons vegetable oil, for frying Glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup vegan creamer
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. For donuts, heat milk enough to melt the shortening, then add the milk to the shortening in a small bowl. Put yeast in another bowl with the warm water let it set for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, combine yeast and shortening in a stand mixer bowl (with paddle attachment). Add egg replacers, salt, sugar, nutmeg, and half of the flour.
2. Mix on low until the flour is worked in. Mix on medium for about 15 seconds. Add the rest of the flour; same thing on low then medium. This time mix for about 1-2 minutes. Take off paddle attachment and add in the dough hook attachment. Let the dough hook work on medium speed for about 5-10 minutes until the dough looks rather smooth and it pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
3. Pull all the dough out and put it in a large mixing bowl for about 1 hour to let the dough rise and double in size. An hour later, pull the dough out and knead it on a large, flat, and floured surface. Just fold and press fold and press for a few minutes. With a rolling pin, roll it out a little bit thicker than 1".
4. Use a round cookie cutter that’s about 2-3" across to make cutouts. Then, rip little holes in each dough and set them on a floured cookie sheet. Put damp paper towels over them and let them rest for at least 30 minutes. Heat oil to about 370 degrees F, and please only try to fry these in a Dutch oven or an electric fryer.
5. After 30 minutes, drop donuts in the oil a few at a time for about 1 minute on each side (when it’s golden and delicious looking, flip it). Let them dry for a few minutes then eat! For the simple frosting, heat glaze ingredients together in a small pan on low heat. Stir until creamy and all mixed. Dip, flip, dip and drip, the cooled doughnuts. Allow to rest for a few more minutes while the frosting sets.
And there you have it! The best tasting doughnuts ever. I have tried vegan and nonvegan ways, and vegan tastes better! Good luck!