Easy Flour Tortillas
4 cups unbleached white flour + extra for kneading and rolling
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
6 tablespoons vegan margarine, cubed or sliced
1 1/4 cups very hot water
1. Place flour into a large bowl. Stir salt in, blending well. Add margarine. Using pastry blender, mix the butter into the flour mixture making sure the vegan butter is cut up into pea-sized pieces.
2. With a spoon, form a well in the flour mixture. Pour the water into the flour well and then mix all together. The resulting mixture is your tortilla dough.
3. Sprinkle a thin layer of flour onto a clean counter. Place the dough on top of the flour and knead until smooth. Put the smoothed, kneaded dough back into the bowl and cover the bowl with a clean towel to keep the dough moist.
4. On a floured counter and using a floured rolling pin, roll out an egg-sized piece of tortilla dough to a size that’s just smaller than the bottom of the frying pan that you’ll use to fry the tortillas in. As you roll out the dough you’ll have to turn it over several times and occasionally re-sprinkle the counter with more flour (so the tortilla doesn’t stick to the counter).
5. Fry the tortilla in a large frying pan (no grease or oil is needed) on medium heat. When bubbles form in the tortilla, turn it over and fry the other side. When bubbles appear again, remove the tortilla from the pan and place it in a plastic food storage bag to retain its moisture. Make sure you keep the bag closed after placing the tortilla in it. Roll out and fry the remaining tortillas in a similar manner.
Source of recipe: Gotta love mom. I love to eat this with onions, avocados, and verde sauce. I remember making these with my mom was I was in grade school.