2 cups unbleached flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
cinnamon, to taste (I use a lot)
nutmeg, to taste (I use a lot, but less than cinnamon)
generous pinch ginger
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup vanilla or plain nondairy milk (I use soy)
1. Set oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a cookie sheet. Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate mixing bowl, mix the oil, sugars, vanilla, and milk.
2. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mix well. If the dough seems too dry, add a bit more milk until cookie dough-like consistency. Shape into smallish balls, place on prepared cookie sheet.
3. Smoosh balls down into patties, as thick as you like your cookies to be (as these don't really spread out when baked). Sprinkle more cinnamon on top.
4. Bake for about 10-15 minutes, or until cookies are firm but not really brown. Raise oven temp to 450 degrees F, and bake for about 2 more minutes, until cookies are a little brown and the tops are hard to the touch (don't burn your fingers!).
5. Remove cookies from oven and put on a rack to cool.