Easy Tomato and Roasted Pepper Pasta
2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes*
1 jar roasted red or yellow peppers
1 medium onion, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
salt & pepper to taste
This is a simple recipe I made up using ingredients from my mothers pantry. I took it to a family gathering so that my fiancé and I would have vegan food to eat, and my omnivore family ate most of it themselves!
(*I use Del Monte Organic Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic and Oregano for the tomatoes. I'm sure the recipe would work just as well if you add your own basil and oregano instead of buying the pre-seasoned tomatoes, but then the recipe wouldn't be quite as simple!)
1. In a saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic until golden.
2. Add the tomatoes and their juices to the pan.
3. Remove the peppers from the jar, reserving the liquid. Roughly chop the peppers and add them to the pan. Then, add the reserved liquids.
4. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down and let simmer 5-10 minutes.
5. Puree 1/2 of the sauce in a blender or food processor, then return to the pan.
6. Season with salt & pepper and serve over pasta of your choice.