Fair-Style Corn Dogs
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup nondairy milk
1 tablespoon brown mustard
1 egg equivalent, prepared
corn starch (for coating the dogs)
6 vegan hot dogs
1. Heat deep-fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Mix together the dry ingredients (cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, cayenne pepper, and salt), then stir in the wed ingredients (nondairy milk, mustard, and egg replacer). Mix until smooth.
3. Sprinkle corn starch on a plate, roll each of the hot dogs in the corn starch until lightly coated.
4. Pour batter into a tall glass, dip hot dogs in batter, then immediately place into the deep-fryer. Let cook for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Push chopsticks or trimmed bamboo skewers into the finished Corn Dog for convenient eating!
(Wanna make it more kid friendly? Cut them in half and make minis.)
Source of recipe: When I was a kid, the first place we stopped at the county fair was at the food stands. The air smelled of deep-fried everything from french fries and corn dog to turnovers and funnel cake. It was a smell of happiness and rainbows. Sadly, a hundred pounds later, I realized that salad would make me just as happy. Either way, every once in awhile all children and adults should be given the chance to eat a little deep-fried goodness on a stick.I combined two recipes on the internet to come up with this.