Fantastic Lentil Loaf
1 cup brown lentils
4 cups water
1/2 cup brown rice
1 cup butternut squash
1 small onion
2 cubes vegetable bouillon
1 tablespoon thyme
fresh or dried garlic, minced, to taste
pinch dried parsley
1/4 cup tomato sauce
3 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon soy sauce
tabasco sauce, to taste
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
4 tablespoons water, as needed
vegetable oil, as needed, optional
1. Rinse the lentils and put them into a large pot along with the water, rice, squash, onion, mushrooms, vegetable bouillon, thyme, garlic, and parsley. (You can use any vegetable you have handy to put into the loaf.)
2. Cook until the water is boiling and then simmer for 1 hour, or until everything has cooked and the water is gone. Add in the tomato sauce, ketchup, soy sauce and tabasco sauce.
3. Use a fork or potato masher to mash the mixture until it is partly mixed together. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line loaf pan with parchment paper, or oil.
4. Put the ground flaxseed into a small cereal bowl and add 1 tablespoon water. Use a fork to mix them together, just keep adding the water 1 tablespoon at a time. After some mixing, it will begin to take on the consistency of egg whites. Once it is at that point add it to the lentil mixture until it has dissolved.
5. Carefully spoon the mix into the pan. Bake for 1 hour, or until it is dry and the top has a nice crust on it. Cool completely before eating for best texture.
I ate it for super and it stayed together really well. I absolutely loved this loaf; I thought it tasted great and it didn't fall apart or wasn't bland like some other lentil loafs I had tried. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Source of recipe: I wanted to make a lentil loaf and I just fooled around and this is what I got!