Fat Free Soup
1 white onion
1 decent sized zucchini (courgette) or 2 small ones
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 vegetable OXO cube (OXO is a flavouring stock brand available in NZ. substitute with 1 cup liquid)
1 440g/14oz tin chopped tomatoes
1/2 tin water (if using liquid stock count it as this measure and add more liquid if needed)
pinch of oregano (dried works well)
pinch of marjoram (dried works well)
salt and pepper to season
approximately 1 tablespoon oil
1. Cut carrot, onion and zucchini into cubes approximately 1/4inch and cut garlic up into fine pieces.
2. In a large saucepan add oil and heat until hot.
3. Add carrot, onion, zucchini,and garlic along with herbs, salt & pepper.
4. Cook enough to brown and bring out the flavor.
5. Add tomatoes, water and/or vegetable stock.
6. Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer for ½ hr to hour, stirring frequently as it may stick to bottom. If veges are not cooked and soup is too thick add a small quantity of water and keep cooking.
The soup is cooked when all veges are soft and soup is hot.
The longer the soup is cooked for the thicker and nicer it will become.
This recipe is easily multiplied to make more volume.
The soup can easily be stored in the fridge and reheated in the microwave.
Source of recipe: This recipe came from my mom. She obtained it through her friend. This recipe uses New Zealand quantities where 1 can is approx 440g which is a 14oz can to my knowledge.